- State Director, VA, USA
Department42 - Housekeeping and Special Projects
Employment Type Full Time
Minimum Experience Experienced
Compensation Commensurate based on experience.
West Virginia Working Families is a new populist, independent political organization that fights for social, economic, and racial justice. Formed by a broad coalition of West Virginians, we fight to advance policy goals that support dignity & justice for working class communities, communities of color, working families & the unemployed. And we fight to win. Working Families combines issue advocacy campaigns with year-round electoral engagement to win ground-breaking policies and elect strong progressive champions.
As our first State Director, you will have the opportunity to build a strong organizing culture, from the ground up. This position is part strategist, part administrator, and part organizer. We are looking for someone who has the skills and drive to recruit and train a deep bench of candidates at every level of government, help organize the resistance to Washington’s attack on West Virginia families, and build a strong, lasting infrastructure for progressive politics. No one person can do all that by themselves. You will need to make the most of the talent, time, and resources of our State Committee members, while building the state’s strongest political volunteer base. The main quality we are looking for in this position is a track record of organizing people from different backgrounds into meaningful, united action.
- Create a powerful communications apparatus to communicate the power of working families issues. Be creative about communications. Identify, develop, train and maintain storytellers who can participate in the legislative process, actions, earned and paid media programs and as local leaders. Also, seek opportunities to bring the language of our values into the political sphere.
- Recruit, develop and mobilize the leadership of the State Committee – in order to multiply our ability to reach fundraising, volunteer mobilization, issue advocacy, and candidate development goals.
- Over time, build the state’s strongest political volunteer base, which can be mobilized during elections and issue fights.
- Recruit, train, and support candidates for state and local office.
- Help develop deep campaigns in key towns/cities where Working Families can run a slate of candidates on a shared platform; while also providing broad statewide leadership.
- Work with the national Working Families office and their staff and attorneys to meet all legal and ethical requirements of a political organization.
- Grow the organization.
- Direct lobbying and legislative outreach.
- Identify, pursue and apply for grants and funding opportunities for issues Working Families organizes on. Meet minimum fundraising goals to implement core functions while harnessing and organizing additional resources to build the organization and win priority campaigns.
- Drafting written campaign plans for specific projects.
Desired Qualities (no one will have all of these):
- A sincere commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proven organizing ability, and effectiveness engaging a wide range of allies.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills to assess threats and recommend actionable solutions.
- Relentless drive, tenacity and a willingness to do whatever it takes to advance our mission and values.
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage the technical aspects of a project such as paperwork, deadlines, etc.
- Ability to work effectively with strong personalities, peers, public officials, and allies.
- Minimum of three years similar experience in grassroots non-profit, labor, or political organization.
- Driver’s license and willingness for regular in-state travel.
Salary for this position is commensurate with the amount of relevant professional experience that a candidate possesses. A competitive benefits package includes health, dental, vision, and life insurances, a 401k retirement plan, paid holidays, and generous vacation and sick time. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
Applications are due on June 5th, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Working Families Organization and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply online here https://workingfamilies.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=30
Visit us here http://workingfamilies.org/jobs
Posted on 03 June 2017
Please mention Political Jobs when applying for this position