- Communications Director, NY, USA
Department 50 - New York
Employment Type Full Time
Minimum Experience Experienced
Compensation Commensurate based on experience.
The New York Working Families Party is seeking a talented and energetic communications director. The ideal candidate is an exceptional writer, a sophisticated campaign strategist, and seasoned new media tactician.
The Communications Director is responsible for internal and external communications within New York, developing and executing sophisticated media strategies to advance our legislative and electoral priorities and telling our story to our membership, leaders and the broader progressive movement. S/he will foster relationships with news media, editors, reporters, bloggers, partner organizations, political campaigns, and public officials to advance campaigns, enhance our reputation and brand, and promote our values. The Communications Director will serve as a key strategist, a primary shaper and steward of our brand, and an important adviser on our digital program.
The Communications Director will:
- Develop communications plans to advance priority campaigns;
- Plan and execute internal and external communications to develop and grow our brand using earned, paid and new media;
- Live in the news cycle; monitor risks and opportunities; seize real-time media opportunities to advance our values, position, and brand;
- Build relationships with print, broadcast, and new media journalists;
- Coach, train, and develop leaders and senior staffers as media spokespeople;
- Collaborate in coalition with organizational partners and allies;
- Anticipate, prevent, and, if necessary, manage crisis communications;
- Draft talking points, op-eds, memos, and other materials, as needed;
- Identify online organizing opportunities;
- Produce detailed reports of communications activities for staff and leadership;
- Other duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications or a related field;
- Minimum three years experience in communications, public relations, or advocacy; campaign experience preferred;
- Experience landing high-profile media placements and dealing with reporters, editors, editorial boards, columnists, bloggers, broadcast producers and thought leaders;
- Ability to identify research needs and manage research projects;
- Exceptional writing skills for both press and popular audiences. Writing should be sharp, personable, and memorable;
- Excellent detail-oriented project management;
- Smart political judgment; the ability to anticipate how friends and opponents will respond to our actions or statements;
- Knowledge of online advocacy tools and online organizing tactics is a plus;
- Calm in a crisis, with great instincts;
- Commitment to social justice.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position is commensurate with the amount of relevant professional experience that a candidate possesses. A competitive benefits package includes health, dental, vision, and life insurances, a 401(k)-retirement plan, paid holidays, and generous vacation and sick time. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
Please include a resume, cover letter, and your current address when filling out this application.
The Working Families Party is an Equal Opportunity employers with a commitment to social justice. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply online here https://workingfamilies.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=25
Visit us here http://workingfamilies.org/jobs
Posted on 03 June 2017
Please mention Political Jobs when applying for this position